pali ke kua mahina ke alo

My letters! all dead paper, mute and white! And yet they seem alive and quivering Against my tremulous hands which loose the string And let them drop down on my knee to-night.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

greasy haired miracles

i will admit that there are days when i despise my job.
days where im convinced that all the small children of the world are out to get me.

then there are days like today that remind me why i left dear auffenberg and berry to tread cautiously amongst the ed majors.

to preface-
i teach latin.
i teach latin to 3rd through 8th graders.
im enjoying this more than i ever thought i would.

today in a 4th grade class, a little boy entered my room. eyes wide beneath unwashed unbrushed hair. and proclaimed "justus sum" with the authority of charlemagne. then in a half moment glanced at me for confirmation that he did indeed know his name- and then back to his heroic poise that 4th grade ladies cannot yet appreciate.

i want to take him home. but i believe the technical word for that is kidnapping. plus my housemate wouldn't let me keep him-she's been known to kick the cats that lounge on our porch.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't kick the cats...I just spray them with the hose. BIG difference!

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Blogger kaelum said…

    genius! dr. winky is smiling somewhere for reasons he cant explain.

     
  • At 1:33 PM, Blogger Jonathan said…

    HA! Rachel, the cat kicker! I'm glad you're enjoying teaching, Lani. It's a requirement for teachers.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home